Sunday, May 17, 2009

Stewart Falls.... yes, another Hike

Yes, we went again. But this time it was a real hike, not a nature walk. By the end of the summer we hope to hit up all of these http://www.utah.com/provo/hiking_trails.htm

So yesterday's hike started out like any other, but ended with much different results.

We hiked along an absolutely BEAUTIFUL trail for a couple of hours, until we finally arrived at Stewart Falls.



At which point we took a bunch of pictures...




Then we noticed that to the east of the falls, back around the corner, on top of a snowy mountainside, there was yet another gorgeous cascade. And of course, we decided to climb up the slushy precipice.


It was tough going all the way up. We had to dig our feet and hands deep into the snow so that we didn't slide right back down to where we came from. My hands were FREEZING! But with much effort we finally made it to the top. And it was totally worth it, especially to see how the water from the falls was flowing underneath the 5 or so feet of snow. Gorgeous.



Now everything up to this point was just peachy, but then we decided it was time to start heading back. Now earlier we had seen another guy up on the blanket of snow that just slid on hit butt back down down to the trail. We figured we would do the same. Unfortunately we didn't factor in the fact that he had started sliding down at a much lower point on the incline than we did. Slippery wet snow, high incline, and traction-less shoes = UNHEALTHY...again!

Once we got sliding, there was no turning back, and with every second we gained momentum. We started going faster and faster and faster! My life flashed before my eyes as Dennis was FRANTICALLY yelling at me, "DIG YOUR HEELS IN, DIG YOUR HEELS IN!!" We were trying desperatly to wedge our hands and/or heels far enough into the snow to slow us down, but instead of decreasing our speed, our hands were just shredded with pinecones and rocks.

A million ideas rushed through my head as I was trying to figure out how I was going to stop before I hit the tree bank, and then I saw a large rock ahead and I thought if I can just get my feet to hit that rock, it should slow me down enough to use my hands to stop. As the rock fast approached I put my feet out, and BAM! my knees buckled, and the rock went right underneath me slashing and bruising my leg. I was still going just as fast as ever. At that point I looked up and saw that Dennis had successfully slowed himself down, but I still had no hope, I toppled right over the top of him and was only able to finally come to a stop by grabbing on to a large log, right before the tree bank. In the end we both survived. Scary but Fun. Totally worth it.

10 comments:

  1. haha best story EVER. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! You could have been killed! Invite us when you go on a less dangerous hike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch!! You guys are nuts, but that sounds so fun! ha ha. Great pictures, keep'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: I added you to my blog list, hope that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are nuts! If you have a goal of completing all of these hikes, don't you think it would make sense to purchase the proper attire? As in hiking shoes! Your pictures are beautiful by the way....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Rachael- What kinda nut goes crazy adventure hiking with the wrong shoes! I cannot believe it (said in the voice from little einsteins- you might know it)! I laughed the whole time I was reading but was nervous for how it was going to end. I was waiting for more blood, a concussion, and a trip to the E.R.

    I'm about to post this under Rachael's name even though it's Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. The crazy "I'm not a hiker" kind of nut! You know, the kind that has several pairs of dance shoes, but not ONE pair of hiking shoes. Needless to say, next weekend I will be sporting more appropriate footwear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man I don't know WHAT you guys are talking about! the recurring theme of the hike was "What would a PIONEER do!?!" and you know what I felt like a KING having my traction less skater shoes on, because you know why? at least I had shoes. At least, I had, shoes... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. just kidding, we did talk about pioneers and their hardships a lot... thanks

    ReplyDelete