Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mi Bicicleta

So most of you know that when I left Provo over a year ago, I left almost everything here in an effort to make a quick getaway. Included in those dismissed possessions was my beloved baby blue bike. It was left here, exposed to 4 seasons worth of elements, lonesomely chained to the stairs at Josh's old apartment complex. When I returned to Provo last month, much to my surprise, I found that my bike was still there, shackled to that iron railing. Needless to say, it was in a pretty pathetic state, covered in rust with worn out tires and disintegrating handle bar pads.
Regardless of it's conditions, one Wednesday I brought the bike to my new apartment and showed it to Dennis. He talked of grand plans to fix it up and restore it to it's original beauty. I thought that was a lovely idea, but really didn't think it would happen, at least not any time soon. The next day Dennis came over as usual, but this day he kept talking about how he needed to head back to Salt Lake early because he wasn't feeling well and really wanted a good nights sleep. So we watched Return To Me and he headed home around 10:00. The next day (Friday) after class I headed down to Salt Lake to go to a work party/movie with Dennis, but upon arrival he suggested we stop by his brother's house first because there was something he wanted to show him before the movie. So we pulled into his brother's, walked inside and headed over to garage at which point Dennis put his hands over my eyes and told me he had something to show ME...Not his brother. I hesitantly took blind steps into the dark garage, followed closely by Jade and Brinley (Dennis' little nieces) when Dennis took his hand off my eyes and this is what I saw!



A beautifully restored bike with a bell just like on Return To Me. I was SOOOO surprised, I turned and gave him a huge hug as his nieces exclaimed "She likes it! She likes it!"
Apparently Dennis had stolen my bike without me realizing it the night before, telling me he wanted to go home early cause he "wasn't feeling well" but really he stayed up until 4:00 in the morning beautifying my bike, then got up 2 hours later and went to work.... He's the freaking best. Thanks Dennis, you rock.

(Please excuse the sister missionary outfit, I had an interview at the MTC that day!)


(Apparently this bike also has magical powers that force us to make fools of ourselves whenever we get on it)

9 comments:

  1. Uh, I lovingly hate you and your adorable bike, and your adorable life. I'm on the fence about your Sister missionary outfit. But seriously, this post radiates adorableness (yes, including you, Dennis!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you had such a cute bike!! What a sweet boy you have! I have to say the picture of him on the bike is my favorite picture....And, I have so been meaning to call you back and I will soon....FYI they have SUMMER OREOS!!! They are light blue inside, and I am eating some right now as I type. And I asked your mom about your job stuff and I heard you got the one you wanted!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH! That's all I have to say about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that bike is so rad, and your bf is too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! Dennis, you're the best. How cool is that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! WHAT AN AWESOME SURPRISE! It reminds me of all the sweet things shane west does for mandy moore in a walk to remember. LUCKY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I love bikes! We should go on a bike ride someday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the bike and the story!! Dennis has come a long way, considering that he used to pull me off my bike by the hair and take off with it when we were little ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha thanks Sole, I have come a long way. I no longer assault people for their bikes, I fix them and give them back lol

    ReplyDelete